1. Why are you so passionate about education?
I am a parent that understands that a great education is the foundation of a great citizen.
2. As a parent, what do you think is your role in education?
My role, as a parent, is to reinforce the educators at my children's school. It is my job to make sure that my children are teachable and exhibit good behavior at school.
3. Can you think of a time a teacher made an impact in your life?
My theater arts teacher at Adamson High School, Chuck Lytle, went above and beyond the "call of duty" for his students. I credit him as one of the main reasons I pursued a career in radio.
4. If you could secure one thing for your district that it desperately needs, what would that be?
I would secure a new superintendent. And not from an expensive national search from, but rather local talent with input from the community and teachers. Someone like the highly successful Anthony Tovar, would be worth a look. He was "removed" after turning Sunset High School in a positive direction?
5. You seem to be active in your community, why did you decide you needed to be on the Board of Trustees instead of continuing your more focused efforts?
As a Trustee, I would be in the position to listen to my constituents and VOTE on policy to promote a better education for the entire district. Some of the ideas are highlighted in my campaign video.
6. How has your experience as a Mobile DJ and your community volunteer work prepared you for a leadership role in DISD?
I have had the opportunity to work with many of the different cultures that make Dallas the great city it is. It is because of these experiences that I feel that I can unite the different factions within the District.
7. The Dallas Morning News asked you to grade the Superintendent's strategies for improving performance and you gave him an F because teachers are under pressure and lack necessary support. What support were you talking about that teachers are lacking?
Moral Support for one. When your boss practically rates your effective years as the first few, what would that do to your self worth?
As mentioned in my video, teachers need to be given more time to plan and less time spent in meetings. And a better system of student discipline would allow teachers to maximize teaching time. The time spent filling out referrals is a direct infringement upon teaching and planning time.
8. If you were Superintendent, what would you do differently?
As highlighted in my campaign video, I would end the exodus of good teachers and principals. I also believe regular teacher input (without fear of retribution) would benefit the Superintendent's insight and actions. What's that line from Jerry Maguire...Help me to help you?
9. What do you think DISD is doing well and where do you think that DISD could be doing a better job?
I like the security efforts to gain entry to the campuses. And the district's done a great job providing other school districts with some excellent "experienced" teachers ;-) As for DISD doing a better job? Again, it starts at the top. New CEO needed now.
10. You answered that you were involved in a lawsuit to Dallas morning news but didn’t provide any details. Since you're pro transparency, are you interested in sharing what it was concerning?
I was involved in 2 car wrecks,when I was 15 and when I was 25. Passenger in the one at 15...Driver in the accident at 25. The other driver was found to be responsible in both situations.
11. Why should the voters give you their support on May 9th?
My opponent has made no attempt to fire Mike Miles...I will.